Most people would say that distance can make the heart grow fonder, but when you’re deeply in love with a person, you’ll find any way possible to make your relationship work even when you’re in different locations around of the globe. Keep your bond stronger while you’re apart using these tips:
- Stay Connected It’s been said many times, communication is the key to make any relationship work. Nothing could be more real than this for long distance relationships. Any simple greetings can make an enormous difference to compensate for the distance. Take advantage of the power of technology and the internet. Aside from the usual phone calls, do video calls and chats as well. There are plenty of apps available that you can use. Here are some apps you can try:
- Be Updated Fill in the blanks of each other’s life by making sure that you keep each other updated on recent events. Aside from social media posts, it’s best to include this in your conversations. Mention about your family and common friends as well. Also remember important life occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays.
- Spend Time Together Online Thanks to the internet, you can find a way to spend quality time with your special someone. Watch movies or your favorite tv series together online by sharing screens or using features that allow multiple users to access one video at the same time. If you’re both into video games, you could also meet and play together in the virtual game world.
- Trust Each Other It’s understandable that you miss your loved one so much that you’d want to make a call every minute if possible. However, this can do more harm than good. Being too clingy can be regarded as a lack of trust, and it should be avoided. Trust is all the more important for a long distance relationship. So, do your best to show your trust to the other person. Maintain a healthy amount of communication and avoid exaggerating on your suspicions. Avoid becoming overly jealous and commit to making the relationship work instead.
- Be Optimistic Having a positive outlook can boost your relationship. Instead of moping around thinking how much you miss the person, cheer yourself up. Optimism can be contagious and every time you connect with your loved one, they, too, can feel it. You’ll be saving each other from feeling guilty, and you can better focus on your lives.
- Send Each Other Gifts When birthdays and anniversaries come, but it’s impossible to meet in person, make up for it by sending each other thoughtful gifts. It could be a memento or a couple of items that you can both have and remind each other of. For sure, anything that comes from your loved one will leave a lasting smile on your face and joy in your heart.
- Occasionally Get Together Strive to find an opportunity to visit your special someone personally. This is best done on special occasions, but when you can collect your vacation leave or have long holidays, you could spend long days together. You could also go on a romantic or adventurous vacation abroad.
- Come Up with Rules Practicing self-discipline can be a huge challenge for both of you. Having a set of boundaries and rules can help you stay on the path of commitment. But be sure that you can both agree upon and comply with these rules.
- Love Yourself Life goes on even when you’re apart. So, take this time as an opportunity to care for yourself. And stay healthy. You probably don’t want that person to die of worry. Revisit hobbies or activities you weren’t able to do lately. Spend more time with family and friends. This will help you cope with the burden of missing your loved one.
You don’t necessarily have to always be together to have a happy relationship. What matters is not the physical distance. Even when you’re apart, you’re both connected in heart and mind. And be ready for the time when you’re finally going to be together once again.